Monday, February 20, 2023

Blog #11: Illusory Truth Effect

Illusory Truth Effect- What did I learn? 

After watching all of the EOTO presentations, the Illusory Truth Effect stuck out to me the most. The illusory theory can be described as the tendency for on eco believe false information, even though it has been exposed as false several times. In the presentation the quote "repetition makes a lie sound so true" was written on the slide. This quote really stuck out to me because I really understood it. When I was younger I would fight with my sister, and when my parents asked who started it, I would always say her. I would repeat the story of her starting the fights over and over that eventually I even convinced myself that it was true. 

The illusory- truth effect is also known as the illusion of truth, which is a basically what it is. If repeated enough times, the information may be perceived to be true, even if the sources are not credible. This effect is very evident on subjects that people say that they know about, but do not. This effect can happen even if someone had previous knowledge that the information is false. 


Illusory theory plays a big role in campaigns, politics, a rumor, news media, and everyday pop culture. It is up to us to catch wrong doings because false news is everywhere. Many companies share inaccurate information that is repeating over and over again, convincing it's consumers of something that isn't true. 


It is important that we are aware and not naive about the Illusory Truth Effect and not believe everything that we hear. I had no idea what this effect was before it was presented in class, but I can think of many examples in my life where it has had a role. 


Overall, after thinking about this effect I am mind-blown at how much I can relate events in my life to it. We are surrounded by illusory theory every single day, whether it is a friend convincing us of information, or a company convincing us of something. The problem with illusory truth effect is that as humans we want to believe people that we trust because we see them as reliable, but that isn't always the case. 


Sources: https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/illusory-truth-effect 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

MY RELATIONSHIP WITH TECHNOLOGY      Throughout my life, as each year passes, technology becomes more prevalent and has an important role in...