Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Blog #10: In The Age of AI

WHAT IS A.I. 

Artificial Intelligence is "the theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks that normally require human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages" (Oxford Languages). 

Artificial Intelligence, otherwise known as A.I. has developed a key role in society today. The term Artificial Intelligence was invented by John McCarthy in 1950. 

PRIVACY & SECURITY

Pros 

  • Gives companies information on consumers 
  • All data collecting services must give the user an option to "opt out" of their information being collected 
  • A.I can get things done at a faster pace with no risk of human error

Cons

  • A.I. allows businesses to know EVERYTHING about you where they can "mine the data of your life" . 
  • Surveillance is almost everywhere, such as the ALEXA which listens to you everywhere, like kitchens, bedrooms, living rooms, and more. 
  • A.I is always listening and taking in data on you 
  • Tracks all of your movement online and in person 

National Security: CHINA

AI has a large role in China, where it watches everyone at all times and uses this data to detect people through facial recognition. They can detect cars and even recognize people by the way they walk. A quote from the video we watched in class said that “China is on its way to building a surveillance state”. China authorities surveillance Turkic-muslims to the maximum and use it to detect people who are “prone to become a terrorist” and who need to be “re-educated” politically in camps where they get tortured. China has a scheme to expand its influence around the world using AI technology. This is called the Belt and Road which they are going to use as a political advantage. China goes into countries and provides loans where they install Chinese surveillance. They are slowly using AI to take over other countries around the world. They want to dominate the world in A.I., while trying to compete with America's technological advancements.

Online Security & Identity Theft 

A positive of A.I is its identity theft protection technology. A.I has been proven to help detect identity fraud, which would benefit society because identity fraud is such a common problem that many people face. A.I gives an added security to people, preventing hackers from stealing information. It is very ironic that A.I protects people from identity theft because it is the reason why so much of our information is gathered online. 

MY OPINIONS

We think that technology will always make things better because in the past it has, but this isn’t always true. A.I is slowly taking away minimum wage jobs which people need to survive. A.I will have control over all of the simple job tasks, leaving the difficult ones left for the humans, decreasing jobs. A.I is classified as a tool, and it serves the person who is controlling it.

After watching this video I realized how prevalent A.I is in my life without me even realizing. I also had no idea that A.I can be used in any company or occupation, I really thought it was limited to science. I scares me to think about all of the control that technology has over my life, and how much information that this technology has on me. It also scares me that is someone has enough money, they can buy this data and information on me, giving them access to everything A.I has recorded on me.

photos: https://www.esrcheck.com/2022/03/25/california-regulation-artificial-intelligence-employment/ 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_artificial_intelligence 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

MY RELATIONSHIP WITH TECHNOLOGY      Throughout my life, as each year passes, technology becomes more prevalent and has an important role in...